Yesterday, I got an email from my friend Mercedes, who is in Uruguay. She’s a fantastic writer and pen pal, and she shared a recipe for a ham and cheese tart called a Torta de Fiambre.
My husband loves ham. Like, LOVES it. So when I mentioned that she’d sent this recipe and we had the ham to make it, he was all for trying it right then. So that’s what we had for supper.
First you pull out the blender, pour in two and a half cups of water, a teaspoon and a half of salt, and then measure two and a half cups of flour into a bowl. You add the flour 2-3 tablespoons at a time, pulsing the processor/blender between each addition. I was expecting it to be very liquid, but it is surprisingly thick.
Preheat the oven to its highest setting, then reduce it to about 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan (I totally used the wrong pan – let’s pretend I did it right, mmmkay?) and then pour in half of the mixture. I had to push it into the corners a bit, but it spreads pretty well.
Then you just layer slices of ham and slices of cheese (your choice of cheese.) I used mozzerella, and you’ll notice its shredded. Cause I didn’t have slices. It was still delicious!
Once you layer on all the meat and cheese, you pour over the remaining flour mixture. Then just pop it in the oven for 55 minutes.
As Mercedes said, its delicious hot or cold. Do give it time to cool. Take it from someone who didn’t – it might burn your mouth otherwise.
And like I said – mine is too lightly colored and too thick because I used the wrong pan. It should be golden brown and have a thinner crust (though this is pretty tasty, regardless!).
Give it a try!
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 package (300 g) sliced deli ham
- 1 package (300 g) sliced cheese
- Preheat your oven to its highest setting, then grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a blender or food processor, pour water and salt. Add the flour 3 tablespoons at a time, pulsing between each addition.
- Pour half the flour mixture into the pan and spread to cover the bottom.
- Layer your ham slices over the crust mixture. Then layer the cheese. Continue to alternate layers until the ham and cheese have been used.
- pour remaining crust mixture on top and spread to cover.
- Reduce oven to 350°F, and place pan on center rack. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Cut into 24 (ish) squares and eat!